1/3 Photos of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Leggy Peggy's Note:
This recipe has been inspired by the pie I make that my mother loves most. She has always said that when you put rhubarb in a pie recipe, always add an egg in the filling. Created for RSC #11.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water (may need a 6th)
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, in 3/8 to 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar (add an extra 1/4 cup if you have a real sweet tooth)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour and salt.
- 3Rub or cut (using a pastry cutter or two knives) the butter into the flour mixture, until it all looks like small peas.
- 4Beat together egg, cold water and lime juice.
- 5Gradually add liquid mixture to flour mixture, stirring gently with a fork. You may need to add the 6th tablespoon of cold water. Do not overwork the dough or your crust will be tough.
- 6Shape mixture into two balls, wrap each in wax paper and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 8Combine all the filling ingredients, in a large bowl, in the order listed. Stir well and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Just before rolling out the pie crust dough, start to pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- 11Flatten and roll out one ball of pie crust and use it to line a 9 or 10-inch pie pan. I use a 10-inch pan. For ease of handling, roll out the crust between two sheets of floured wax paper; also flour the rolling pin.
- 12Pour pie filling into crust.
- 13Flatten and roll out second ball of pie crust. Use it to cover the filling, then crimp around the edges.
- 14Cut air slits.
- 15Brush top crust with finishing lime juice and sprinkle with sugar.
- 17Put in 400°F oven for 40 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- 18Let rest for at least 60 minutes (one hour) before slicing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 483.6
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 91.1 mg
- Sodium 322.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 37.3 g
- Protein 6.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
key lime zest