Recipe by CountryLady
The rhubarb shoots emerging in my garden prompted me to post this recipe from Christine Cushing. I haven't tried it yet - but very soon! Christine suggests sprinkling crushed amaretti cookies between the layers.
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 3⁄4 cup rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup heavy cream (35%)
- 1 -2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or 1 tablespoon other orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
Directions See How It's Made
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote: In a medium saucepan over medium low heat add rhubarb, strawberries, cinnamon stick, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest; stir the mixture occasionally so not to burn.
- Cook until rhubarb is soft and mixture thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes; cool completely& remove cinnamon stick.
- Cream Layer: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or alternatively with an electric hand mixer), whip cream until soft peaks start to form.
- Add icing sugar and increase speed to high; continue to whip cream into firm peaks.
- Fold crème fraiche and Grand Marnier into whipped cream.
- Assembly: Divide 1/3 of the cream layer equally into 6 parfait glasses; divide half the strawberry rhubarb compote equally on top of the layers of the cream layer.
- Divide another 1/3 of the cream on top of the layers of the strawberry rhubarb compote; divide remaining half of strawberry rhubarb compote equally on top of the layers of cream.
- Divide the remaining 1/3 the cream equally on top of the strawberry compote mixture.
- Garnish each parfait with a whole strawberry, sprig of lemon balm and cookie (optional).