Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, to taste
- 2 slices lemons, zest of, removed with a vegetable peeler plus additional for garnish (3-inch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a saucepan stir together the water, the rhubarb, the sugar, 2 strips of the zest, and the vanilla, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and simmer it, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Stir in 1 cup of the strawberries and boil the mixture, covered, for 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool and strain it through a coarse sieve set over a pitcher, pressing hard on the solids.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup strawberries and the lemon juice, divide the lemonade among stemmed glasses filled with ice cubes, and garnish each glass with some of the additional zest.
Ummm!! Very refreshing! This drink has a lovely red color. I put just 1/2 cup of sugar in it as my husband likes tart drinks. Then I added a little bit of sweetener to my own glass. We really enjoyed it and I am sure will make frequently in warm weather. Thanks for a great drink recipe, Chia.