Recipe by sassafrasnanc
This will last in the refrigerator for at least 3 weeks and is sooo delicious on a hot from the oven biscuit with butter! If you have rhubarb in your garden you will be appreciative of this easy recipe as an alternative to the classic strawberry-rhubarb pie!
Top Review by CoffeeB
This was my first attempt at making any type of jam b/f and I've found a new passion to indulge:-) I love the addition of rhubarb to the strawberries as it adds just enough tart. I will say it didn't thicken up as much as I'd like even after simmering for one hour. A nice consistency, but not the same as my other recipe that I was following using SureGel. I"m going to try putting my x-tra in the freezer and hopefully it will be o.k. The other reviewers and your directions didn't state you could/couldn't do this. What a great recipe sassa!~
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 lb fresh rhubarb
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tapioca, quick cooking
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Hull strawberries and cut in half.
- Place rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and lemon juice into a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Let sit for 20 minutes. Add tapioca and let sit another 20 minutes.
- Slowly heat mixture to a simmer and cook at a very low simmer for about 45 minutes, testing for consistency of jelly after a spoonful is refrigerated. (you may need to continue simmering until it reaches this consistency).
- Cool and refrigerate.