1/4 Photos of Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Bars
Muffin Goddess's Note:
I use this one every year during rhubarb season. A Pennsylvania State Fair Butter Cookie Contest Winner, originally found on the Land O' Lakes website. Times do not include cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1-inch pieces (unsweetened frozen rhubarb may be used)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats (old fashioned may be used, but not instant)
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed, I use light brown but dark can be substituted)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (12 tbs., or 1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- 2Combine rhubarb, strawberries, and lemon juice in a 2-qt saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 to 12 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- 3Combine granulated sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl, then mix into the fruit mixture.
- 4Keep cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil (approximately 1 minute). Continue boiling until thickened (1 minute). Remove from heat and set aside.
- 5Combine all crust ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed, scraping bowl often, for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is crumbly.
- 6Set aside 1 1/2 cups of crumb mixture.
- 7Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Spread fruit filling over crust, and sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- 9Cool completely (I pop pan in fridge for a bit if I'm short on time).
- 10Mix drizzle ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled bars. Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.6
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 105.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g