Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Strawberries and rhubarb, a yummy combination. A little whipped cream would finish this off nicely.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 2 lbs fresh rhubarb, cut in 1 in pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry tapioca
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange rind
- Topping: Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir just until mixture becomes crumbly.
- Filling: Cut strawberries in 1/4's; place in lg bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and let stand 15 minutes.
- Lightly butter shallow 3qt baking dish.
- Pour filling into dish.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 350* until bubbling (60-70 min).
- Cool on wire rack.
Excellent flavour! I didn't have tapioca, so tossed the fruit/sugar mixture with 2 or 3 Tbsp flour, and that thickened it up. Also added oatmeal to the topping. A real treat!
This was very good. I really loved the topping with the almonds in it. The filling was a little too liquidy even after sitting for awhile so it kind of "drowned" some of the delicious topping. I would probably increase the amount of topping next time because it was so good. I would also increase the tapioca slightly to see if that helps with the filling. Thanks for sharing!
I used half flour and half oatmeal in the topping as I love the crust the oatmeal makes! So delicious! The family all loved it!