Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Rhubarb and strawberries are a natural spring pairing.
- 1 basic flaky pie pastry (single crust)
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, stalks sliced crosswise 1/2-inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 4 cups hulled and halved fresh strawberries (quartered if large)
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
Cornmeal Crumb Topping
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Roll out and place pie pastry into a 9 ½ inch deep-dish pie pan; place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a big bowl, combine rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest; toss together; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add in the strawberries and tapioca; toss well; scrape filling into the chilled pie shell; smooth top with your hands.
- Place pie on the center oven rack; bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor; pulse several times to mix.
- Scatter the butter over the top and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Empty the crumbs into a bowl and rub between your fingers to make large, buttery crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove pie from oven; decrease temperature to 375°; carefully dump crumbs in the center of the pie, spreading them evenly over the surface with you hands.
- Tamp them down gently; return pie to oven, placing it so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward; slide a foil-lined baking pan onto the rack below to catch any spills.
- Continue to bake 30-40 minutes until juices bubble thickly around the edge; if necessary, cover with loosely tented foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool for at least 1 hour before serving.