Recipe by ValkyrieQueen
Ginger adds a little spice to this classic combination. A nice change of pace from the ordinary. Be sure to look for crisp, brightly colored stalks of rhubarb.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour, all-purpose, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour, all-purpose, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 cups strawberries, quartered if vaery large
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced, 1/2 inch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup oats, old-fashioned rolled (not quick cook)
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup ginger, crystallized, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 cup butter, unsalted, melted
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl stir together the sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour, cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Add strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice; toss to coat.
- Place in a 13x9 inch glass baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, stir remaining 1 cup of flour, oats, walnuts, brown sugar, crystallized ginger, ground ginger, nad remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined.
- Stir in melted butter until moistened; srpinkle over fruit.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until topping is a golden brown and fruit is bubbly. Cool 20 to 30 minutes; serve warm.
- Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.