Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
The cool tang of plain yogurt is good with the fruit flavors of strawberry, and rhubarb in this crisp. A little flour is added to the sweetened fruit to compensate for its juiciness.
FOR THE FILLING
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups sliced trimmed rhubarb (1/2 inch)
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled and halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger (optional)
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal (non instant )
- 1⁄4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- plain yogurt or softly whipped cream
- Lightly butter a microwave-safe 10-inch glass pie plate.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, and flour until blended.
- Add the rhubarb, strawberries, and candied ginger, if using, and toss to blend.
- Spread in an even layer in the prepared pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and oatmeal.
- Work in the butter with a fork until the mixture formscoarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Microwave uncovered on high power for 8 minutes.
- Turn the dish 1/2 turn and microwave 8-9 minutes longer, oor until the fruit is thickened and bubbly and the topping is crisp.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Top each serving with a spoon of yogurt.
Delicious sweet tart crisp. I made it with fresh cut rhubarb that went into the freezer as soon as it was washed and cut and summer strawberries that I had also frozen. It came out great. I don't own a glass pie plate so went with the lead of other reviewers and used the oven @ 350 but mine took closer to 45 mins to get a golden glow on top and get the juice's bubbling. A wonderful touch of summer in January.
Although I'm more for heating up or melting/softening things in the microwave, I did follow your recipe right on down, & must say that baking in that contraption was easy as crisp (or 'pie' if you want to be accurate)! Anyway, your recipe for this crisp is a real keeper! Absolutely loved everything about it, the easy of prep, the combo of flavors, everything! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]
This is such a great recipe!!!! Loved it! :) I didnt see that it was meant to be made in the microwave, but when I saw that I thought why not try it and it worked out fabulously. The topping was soft where it touched the fruit and crispy enough on top for us.
The fruit filling was sooo yummy, loved the tart rhubarb with the sweet strawberries. YUM! I used only 1 tbs of splenda in the filling and 1 tbs of splenda brown sugar blend in the topping, which was enough sweetness for us.
I served the crisp with vanilla yogurt and everyone raved about it. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us, weekend cooker!
Made and reviewed for WTTM April 2011.