Recipe by gastrochef101
This is a great recipe that is sugar/lactose-free! Easy to make and tastes incredible! Great for the summer Months!
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced in quarters
- 1 orange, juiced (or Ã 1/4 cup pulp free juice)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 vanilla beans (seeds, 1 tsp vanilla extract can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons honey (unpasteurized)
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk, solid portion
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop rhubarb and strawberries and combine them into a large pot with spices, orange juice and honey over medium heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil and allow to boil for a few minutes until reducing the heat to low-medium.
- Allow mix to simmer until all the rhubarb has broken down and enough of the liquid has evaporated that the mix resembles a jam like consistency.
- If you find your mixture is fairly runny with a lot of extra juice allow it to.
- simmer on low until the juices evaporate a bit more. Chill compote completely before serving.
- To make the cream topping, open two cans of chilled (24hrs) coconut milk.
- Carefully scoop out the solid portion into a mixing bowl, trying your best to leave the liquid portion behind.
- Slice open your vanilla bean pods and using a flat edged knife, remove seeds and add them to your coconut cream.
- Begin whipping cream and vanilla bean on medium-high setting. After about a minute slowly drizzle in your honey until your mix is aerated enough to hold peaks. (You can stick this in fridge until ready to serve).
- Garnish with fresh mint or chopped nuts and serve!