1 hr 45 mins
I found this recipe in an old Martha Stewart Magazine and it is wonderful. The crust is like that of a biscuit. The filling is then topped with a scrumptious crumb mixture. It does require many steps, but it is worth the work!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups chilled unsalted butter, plus more
- unsalted butter, softened, for pan
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 lb strawberry, hulled and sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a 9x12x3 inch baking pan with butter and set aside.
- 2Make fruit sauce: Combine lemon juice, cornstarch, and 1 cup sugar in a medium saucepan. Add strawberries and rhubarb, cook stirring frequently, over medium heat, until liquid has thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and allow to cool.
- 3Make the crumb topping: Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup flour in a medium bowl. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Drizzle butter over flour mixture, using your hands, mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- 4Make the cake batter: Whisk together remaining 3 cups flour and 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry knife or two forks, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. In a separate bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour into flour mixture; stir to combine.
- 5Spread half the cake batter evenly into the prepared pan. Top with half the fruit sauce. Carefully spread the remaining batter over the fruit, and top with the remaining fruit sauce. Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- 6Bake until cake is golden brown and springs back when touched in the center about 1 hour. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into squares.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.9
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 69.8 mg
- Sodium 116.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 40.0 g
- Protein 5.6 g