Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Always on the look-out for make-ahead breakfast recipes featuring produce we have handy on our little farm. I can see the rhubarb from the window nearby, and in June we head for a nearby berry farm to pick strawberries. This recipe comes from Reiman's *Best of Country Cooking 2003* cookbook.
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- In sauce pan, combine sugar & cornstarch; add fruits; boil and cook for 2 minutes (thickened); remove from heat, stir in lemon juice; cool.
- Preheat oven to 350; grease a 13x9 pan; set aside.
- Cakey Crust part: combine dry ingredients in a large bowl; cut in butter.
- Beat eggs, milk & vanilla; stir into dry mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon two-thirds of cakey stuff in bottom of pan; spoon filling in, top with small dollops of remaining batter; set aside.
- Topping: combine sugar & flour, cut in butter, sprinkle over batter in pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes (golden brown).
- Cool on wire rack and serve.
- VARIATION: Try raspberries instead of strawbs. Add chopped nuts to the topping.