Recipe by grandma2969
this is absolutely delightful..any time of the year...may use frozen, unthawed fruit...
Top Review by JOY1998
I made this with frozen rhubarb and fresh strawberries. Absolutely delightful. What a great coffee cake. I brought one to work and will be giving another to my dance class and I am keeping one for home. Thank you!!!!
- 4 1⁄2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 24 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
Directions See How It's Made
- to make the filling -- combine fruits in saucepan and cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally --
- Add lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- to prepare the cake:.
- combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl.cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Beat together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; add to the flour mixture.
- spread one half of the batter in greased 13x9 pan --
- spread fruit over batter.
- spoon remaining batter in small mounds on top of filling.
- mix topping ingredients until crumbly.
- sprinkle over all.
- bake at 375* for 45 minutes.
- serve slightly warm.