1/3 Photos of Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
1 hr 10 mins
A great breakfast treat or dessert for any time. Found this in Guide to Southern Cuisine. Use a 9x13x2-inch pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups rhubarb (1-inch pieces fresh or frozen)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled butter, cut in small pieces (or margarine)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2Combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice in saucepan.
- 3Cover and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- 4Combine sugar and cornstarch.
- 5Stir into strawberry mixture.
- 6Bring to boil, stir constantly until thickened, remove from heat.
- 8In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 9Cut in butter with pastry blender until resembles coarse crumbs.
- 10In separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- 11Stir into crumb mixture.
- 12Spread half evenly into greased 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- 13Carefully spread strawberry filling over batter.
- 14Drop remaining batter evenly over filling with a tablespoon.
- 16In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- 17Remove from heat.
- 18Stir in flour and sugar until mixture is crumbly.
- 19Sprinkle over batter.
- 20Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until done.
- 21Cool cake on rack.
- 22Cut into squares to serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.8
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 537.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 60.8 g
- Protein 8.3 g