A great breakfast treat or dessert for any time. Found this in Guide to Southern Cuisine. Use a 9x13x2-inch pan.
- 3 cups rhubarb (1-inch pieces fresh or frozen)
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled butter, cut in small pieces (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice in saucepan.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir into strawberry mixture.
- Bring to boil, stir constantly until thickened, remove from heat.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender until resembles coarse crumbs.
- In separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- Stir into crumb mixture.
- Spread half evenly into greased 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Carefully spread strawberry filling over batter.
- Drop remaining batter evenly over filling with a tablespoon.
- In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in flour and sugar until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45 minutes, or until done.
- Cool cake on rack.
- Cut into squares to serve.
There were two recipes I wanted to try on the weekend and only a limited number of eggs. I decided to combine the two and the result was awesome. I used the cake and topping of this recipe. For the filling I used 1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped strawberries, 1 8oz pkg of cream cheese softened, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 egg. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla together, spread it over the half of batter in the pan. Top with the chopped strawberries. Dot with remaining batter and sprinkle topping on. Bake for 45 minutes. Wow. I'm going to try this combination with different fruits over the summer.
Had strawberries to use up so made this recipe as we are also rhubarb lovers. Perfect pick. loved the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
The cake batter is wonderful (fluffy, airy, delicious!), love the idea of making the crumb mixture using melted butter (so much easier!), and the jam is so yummy! Next time, I'll cut the cake batter in half and make this as a crumb pie sort of thing - the fruit part is so good I'd like it to shine through even more! Thank you for a great recipe CoolMonday!