Recipe by chefyl
This recipe is a combination of 2 from the Best of the Best from New England Cookbook (a collection of recipes from popular New England-origin cookbooks) and my personal elaborations upon them. I'm just sharing the way I've done it; refinements are likely to be in order. Fruit substitutions are also possible!
- 3⁄4 lb rhubarb (~8 young stalks)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pint strawberry
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup butter (=1 stick, softened)
- 1 banana (overripe)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Slice rhubarb thinly (crosswise). Place in 9-inch (24cm) pie plate.
- Sprinkle sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon over rhubarb.
- Slice strawberries thinly. Place on top of rhubarb.
- Sprinkle handful of raisins and squeeze half lemon over fruit (try to keep seeds from falling into fruit; save the last squeeze for the betty (below)).
- In medium to large-size bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice.
- Add banana and butter to mixture and blend all together until cohesively crumbly.
- Arrange mixture relatively evenly over fruit and then pat down.
- Microwave on high 9 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, squeeze last drops of lemon juice and 2 teaspoons of sugar over betty, and bake at 350 F for 15 minutes; turn up heat to 400 F (200 C) and bake for another 10 minutes. [I think it would have probably been best to leave the microwave out of it and just bake the entire time. It should be baked until the top browns somewhat].
- Let cool.