Recipe by dicentra
Jellies, James & Chutneys – Preserving the Harvest. makes 2 ¼ pound. Variation: replace the vanilla with 2 ounces fresh ginger.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs rhubarb
- 21 ounces strawberries
- 4 lbs sugar
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 9 ounces liquid pectin
- 1 large vanilla bean, seeds scraped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the rhubarb into 1 inch slices. Slice the strawberries.
- In a large bowl, layer the fruit with the sugar. Pour the lemon juice over and let sit in a cool spot overnight.
- Scrape the fruit sugar and juice into a non-reactive pot and warm over low heat.
- Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil and cook for 2 minutes then turn off the heat and stir in the pectin.
- Return the mixture to a boil and boil for 2 minutes or until the jam has reached the setting point.
- Remove from heat, skim off any foam and stir in the vanilla seeds.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before ladling into hot sterilized jars and seal.