Recipe by evelyn/athens
I love Napoleons! There is just something perfect about crunchy, buttery, puff pastry, awesome lemon curd and whipped cream between the layers and fresh, vibrant-tasting fruit!
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (if you can get the frozen puff pastry made with 100% butter, you're really cooking !)
- 2 eggs, beaten to blend (glaze)
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups lemon curd
- 2 pints strawberries, thinly sliced
- 3 pints raspberries
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 5 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll each pastry sheet out on lightly-floured surface to thickness of ¼ inch. Cut out 8, 6 X 3 inch rectangles. Set on baking sheet and brush with egg glaze, ensuring egg doesn’t drip down sides of pastry (this will inhibit a good rising in the oven). Bake until crisp and brown, about 12-14 minutes. Using serrated knife, split pastry in half horizontally.
- Beat cream, vanilla extract and 1 ½ tblsps icing sugar to stiff peaks.
- For lemon curd: Beat yolks and sugar until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Blend in juice and zest, add butter. Set over simmering water and cook until mixture is the texture of custard, whisking frequently, about 30 minutes. (can be prepared 1 week ahead).
- Assemble just before serving: Spread bottom of each plate with ¼ to 1/3 cup lemon curd. Set bottom half of pastry in center of plate. Spread pastry with thin layer of curd. Cover with about 1 inch of whipped cream. Top with other half of pastry. Spread with thin layer of curd. Cover with about 1 inch of whipped cream. Decorate with overlapping slices of strawberry. Scatter raspberries over lemon curd on plate. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.