Recipe by Katha
Got this many years ago from a co-worker. Very refreshing.Takes some work but worth the effort. Note You can use instant pudding or just whipped cream & strawberries in the puff to save time.
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced & chilled (reserve 3 or 4 nice whole berries for garnish)
- recipe cream filling
- 1 (3 1/4 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons warm water
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cream Filling.
- In saucepan combine pudding & milk mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Cover & cool.
- Chill completely 1-2 hours.
- For Glaze.
- In small mixing bowl combin confectioners sugar & water mix until smooth.
- For Puff Ring.
- Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a saucepan combine water & butter.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add flour all at once.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture leaves sides of pan ina smooth compact ball.(about 2 minutes).
- Cool 1 minute.
- Add eggs 1 at a time ,beating vigorously after each egg addition until mixture is smooth & glossy.
- Spoon dough in ring shape about 8 inches diameter on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown.
- Turn off oven.
- Prick puff with a sharp knife. Leave puff in oven 20 minutes to dry out center.
- Slice off top of ring.
- Spoon cream filling into bottom half of ring.
- Top with fresh berries.
- Replace top & drizzle with glaze; garnish with whole berries.