Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Great dessert to have anytime, but especially good when you can use fresh strawberries just picked.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 (16 ounce) boxnilla vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen, sliced)
- In the top of double boiler combine 1/3 Celsius sugar, flour, salt, egg yolks, milk, and 1 teaspoons vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens.
- Line bottom and sides of a baking dish (1 1/2 quart size) with vanilla wafers, alternate layers of custard mix, wafers, and berries.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add the 1 T. sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Spread meringue over custard, and bake in a 325, oven until meringue is nicely browned, 5-10 minutes.