I LOVE the 4th of JULY! We are so blessed to have friends who own acreage who have a "party" every year. There are about eight families that get together - to eat, drink, socialize, and blow stuff up. Yep, we are fireworks luvin', hope we don't have to go to the hospital, can't believe you spent that much money, 4th of July family. As I was saying (before I got sidetracked on fireworks), we spend our 4th of July's with a great group of friends who bring a great number of side dishes to go with the great number of hamburgers and hot dogs we eat. So while I could have talked about the cheap hot dogs (at Price Chopper or Hy-Vee) or hamburger (at Price Chopper, Hen House or Hy-Vee) - I decided to let those stand on their own and talk about some great side dishes. This dish contains items that are on sale, are tried and true picnic favorites, and won't break the bank.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix pretzels, 1/4 cup of sugar or splenda, and melted butter.
- Spread into a 9x13-inch glass pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool thoroughly.
- Whip soften cream cheese with Cool Whip. Add in 1 cup of sugar or splenda and whip thoroughly. Spread on top of pretzels. (It is important to make an "air tight" seal over the pretzels with the cream cheese mixture. Make sure it goes all the way to the sides of the glass pan.).
- Place sliced strawberries on top and chill for an hour.
- While salad is chilling, add boiling water to Jell-O and stir. Let sit until at room temperature and then pour GENTLY over cream cheese/strawberry layer. Stick salad into fridge (covered) until Jell-O is firm.