Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Use only a very large-holed straw or the long handle of a wooden spoon to make the holes in the top of the cake or the strawberry puree will not penatrate, the holes must be at least 3/4-inch large for this. Plan well in advance the baked cake must be room temperature before topping with the puree, then there are two 2-hour chilling times after, to save time you can bake the cake a day ahead, cool then cover with plastic wrap, prep time includes chilling times. Do not make the mistake of making this into a layer cake the topping will not hold onto the sides of the cake ;-) Yellow or lemon flavor cake mix works well for this or you can use Betty Crocker Super Moist Strawberry Cake Mix. This cake is nothing short of absolutely *FANTASTIC*
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix (or use yellow cake mix)
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix) or 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, completely thawed (do not drain the juice)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix (or cream cheese pudding mix)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or 1 cup use 18% table cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) containercool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
- fresh sliced strawberry
- Prepare the cake as directed on the package and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan; cool to room temperature.
- Using a straw poke holes all over the top of the cake almost to the bottom about 1-inch apart (make large enough and deep holes, the more holes the better!).
- In a processor or blender puree the thawed strawberries until smooth, then slowly drizzle over the top of the cake paying more attention to the holes.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- For the topping; prepare the pudding mix using 1 cup only of half and half cream and add in the 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch to the pudding mixture while mixing; beat until smooth and thickened.
- Fold in the thawed Cool Whip until combined.
- Spread over the top of the cake (cake must be completely cold before topping).
- Arrange the sliced strawberries on top in a decorative pattern.
- Refrigerate for 2 or more hours before serving.
This cake was super delicious!!! I used cheesecake pudding mix and did everything else as directed, was a huge hit with everyone!! Not much effort either, thanks for the great recipe, this one's going in my "best of the best" file!!!
Wonderful! Made for mother's day and it was so much better than the jello poke cake. Thanks for posting!
Super delicious! I brought it to a party and it was a big hit!