Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for safe-keeping
- 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- 2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry gelatin
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- In a mixing bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs on low speed until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes on wire racks.
- Level tops of cake with serrated knives if neccessary and return cakes to two clean cake pan.
- Poke cakes with a meat fork at 1/2" intervals.
- Drain juice from strawberries into a measuring cup and refrigerate berries.
- Add water to juice to measure 2 cups and pour into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Chill for 30 minutes and gently spoon over each cake layer.
- Chill for 2-3 hours.
- Dip bottom of one pan in warm water for 10 seconds.
- Invert cake onto a serving platter and top with reserved strawberries and 1 cup of whipped topping.
- Place second cake layer over topping.
- Frost cake with remaining whipped topping.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Garnish with fresh berries if desired.
- Refrigerate left-overs.
- *cooking time does not include chilling time*.