Recipe by tree luee dee
I used to make this salad all the time and so did my mom. However, I tried it using Paula's "extra special ingredient", crushed pineapples, and oh boy it was great. It's amazing that one little change can make a huge difference. ENJOY! If you crave things that have that salty/sweet combo, then this is for you!
Top Review by Buzymomof3
Wonderful! Made it for our Thanksgiving Grazing day and there was hardly any left. I almost goofed - tried to put in a 20 oz can of crushed pineapples. Luckily my son caught me and I only put in 1/3 of the can, worked great. Thanks Tree!
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping
- 2 (3 ounce) packages strawberry gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- whipped topping or whipped cream, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- For the crust, mix the pretzels, butter, and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Press this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch pan and bake for 7 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- Fold in the whipped topping, and spread over the cooled crust.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water, and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the strawberries and pineapple, and pour over the cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, cut slices and serve with a dollop of whipped topping.