- 50 vanilla wafers
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups ripe strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups small ripe strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place wafers in a food processor, and process until finely ground.
- Add butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, and orange rind, and pulse 10 times or just until wafers are moist.
- Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, mash 2 cups strawberries with a potato masher.
- Combine mashed strawberries and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Press the strawberry mixture through a sieve into a bowl, and reserve 1 cup strawberry liquid (add enough water to measure 1 cup, if necessary).
- Discard pulp.
- Combine 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch in a pan; add strawberry liquid, stirring well with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Arrange a layer of small strawberries, stem sides down, in the crust.
- Spoon about one-third of sauce over the strawberries.
- Arrange the remaining strawberries on top, and spoon the remaining sauce over the strawberries.
- Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Serve with whipped topping.