Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My co-worker's husband made these for us one day. I am not usually a big scone fan but these were amazing! Just the right amount of sweetness and not too hard! PS- If you use a soy yogurt and soy margarine this is dairy free and does NOT compromise the flavor one bit!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free strawberry jelly
- 2 tablespoons pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400, use center rack.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl and cut in margarine with a pastry blender till mixture looks like coarse meal. Add yogurt to dry ingredients, stirring till ingredients are just moistened (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; with floured hands, knead 4-5 times. Pat dough into an 8 inch circle on a baking sheet covered with cooking spray. Cut dough into 12 wedges, cutting to but not through bottom of dough. Make a small slit in the center of each wedge.
- Place 1 tsp of strawberry spread on top of each slit and sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 400 for 13-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
This is still a family favorite. I submitted a photo showing strawberry almond scones. The reason this recipe is so great is that the base dough remains the same, but you can choose from any all-fruit spread you like, and any type of nuts you want. You just need to adjust nutritional information for changes you make. Unlike many commercial scones I have had, these are moist- not crumbly. Even my kids love these.