Recipe by MzGaz
A wonderful triple layer cake. It was my first 3 layer and I love it! If I remember right, I believe I had to buy 32 oz. of the frozen strawberries with juice. By time I mashed the juice out of a 16 oz. container, there wasn't many strawberries so back to the store I went.
- 1 white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup angel flake coconut
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen strawberries in syrup (mash thawed strawberries but reserve a cup of the syrup and discard the rest.)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temp)
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake Directions:.
- Mix dry cake mix with dry strawberry flavored jello. Add oil, eggs, coconut, and milk; and beat until well blended. Stir in mashed strawberries and pecans. Bake in 3 generously greased and floured 9-inch round layer pans at 350° for 25-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Brush cooled layers with reserved juice (1-2 tablespoons per layer) and let set for about 15 minutes to allow cake to absorb syrup. I use a Cream Cheese Frosting for this cake (one of my favorite frostings).
- Frosting Directions:.
- In a large bowl, cream 1/4 cup of butter with cream cheese. Add milk and powdered sugar, mixing first by hand until sugar is blended. Then add vanilla and mix with electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Chill for about 10-15 minute before frosting cake. If needed, chill again if frosting becomes room temperature while frosting to stiffen it again.