Recipe by Lennie
The recipe, from Ontario's Cataract Inn, is an excellent base for a salad dressing. The vinegar keeps well if refrigerated; expect it to last about a year.
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the ingredients; cover and bring up to a boil. Let simmer for about 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Pour mixture into a clean glass jar, preferably one you've sterilized first. Loosely cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
- The following morning, strain mixture (discarding fruit) and decant into clean bottles. Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Let sit in fridge for one week before using, to allow flavours to fully develop.
- This vinegar makes an excellent salad dressing when 1/2 cup of it is whisked together with a tsp or two of dijon mustard, some salt and pepper, two or three tsps of freshly squeezed lemon juice and about a cup of canola oil.