Recipe by Chef floWer
Sweet Strawberry muffins for all ages. You can either chop or slice strawberries, I sliced the strawberries in three pieces. Marinating time is not included in preparation time, enjoy warm or cold. Created for RSC #11
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
2 Stars These muffins smelled so yummy while baking & they baked up in the exact time stated. When we ate them warm they were okay tasting. I do not think the plain sugar on top added anything to the recipe. And even with that sugar we did not feel the muffins had enough sweetness to them. I would recommend dicing the strawberries because the sliced ones (I got about 4 slices out of each berry) created big gooey areas within the muffin. After cooling, the tops were rock hard & the insides were too dry, except for the strawberries which were still gooey. I followed the recipe exactly, down to using the blood orange, whole wheat flour & the almond extract option. Iâ€™m afraid we will not be making these again. Made & reviewed for RSC#11, January 2008.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup blood orange juice or 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon brandy extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, sifted
TOP AND BOTTOM
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375oF/190oC/Mark 5.
- Combine sliced fresh strawberries with sugar and blood orange juice or orange juice. Marinate for about 30 minutes, then drain and reserve liquid into a large mixing bowl for wet ingredients. Set aside strawberries.
- Spray muffin tin with canola oil cooking spray, and then add paper muffin cups to tin and spray cups with canola oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the mixing bowl containing reserved strawberry juice, combine the other wet ingredients (melted butter, eggs, chosen extract) and white sugar, then whisk together until blended.
- In a separate bowl sift together all dry ingredients (flours, baking soda, nutmeg and salt). You may have some small grains left behind the sifter, just add them into the bowl. Mix well.
- Lightly stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until moistened. Then fold in reserved marinated strawberries.
- Fill muffin cups to the top and then sprinkle with any amount of sugar you desire.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick or skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Remove muffins from the tin keeping leaving paper intact, place them on a rack tray and allow to cool or eat warm.