1/1 Photo of Strawberry, Orange and Cointreau Brunch
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A decadently delicious brunch sandwich! Make it with your favourite bread or raisin bread. The end result will, of course, be very much dependant on your choice of bread, and on the quality of the other ingredients, particularly the strawberries. It is a while since I’ve made this so I cannot remember exactly how long this 'sandwich' needs to be in the oven. Nor do I remember where I got the idea - modified over time - from originally, but I wanted to share it because this dish is just SO right to serve for some occasions! Probably best served with fresh strawberries and champagne.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cointreau liqueur (or an additional 1/2 teaspoon of orange juice) or 1 1/2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (or an additional 1/2 teaspoon of orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 8 slices raisin bread (thick slices) or 8 slices rye bread (thick slices)
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- maple syrup, to taste
- 1Turn the oven to a moderate heat.
- 2In a bowl, combine strawberries, orange juice, Cointreau (or Grand Marnier), caster sugar, orange rind, slivered, toasted almonds and feta cheese.
- 3Thoroughly grease a shallow baking pan large enough to accommodate four slices of bread without the slices overlapping.
- 4Place half the slices of bread in the baking pan.
- 5Divide the strawberry mixture evenly over the slices of bread. Don’t worry if some spills over the edges. When you pour the egg mixture over the ‘strawberry sandwiches’, this should cover the ‘sandwiches’ and spill over to the sides of the baking pan.
- 6Top the filled ‘strawberry sandwiches’ with the remaining bread slices.
- 7Lightly beat the four eggs, add the milk and beat for an additional 30 seconds, until the eggs and milk are combined.
- 8Pour the egg/milk over the top of the ‘strawberry sandwiches’.
- 9Stand for 2 minutes.
- 10Using Dancer^’s recipe for Cinnamon Sugar #41463, combine cinnamon and sugar to make Cinnamon Sugar.
- 11Bake the ‘strawberry sandwiches’ in the oven until golden brown.
- 12Sprinkle the ‘strawberry sandwiches’ with cinnamon sugar.
- 13Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with maple syrup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry, Orange and Cointreau Brunch
Serving Size: 1 (296 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.0
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 253.4 mg
- Sodium 722.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: