Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
My family really enjoyed this oatmeal. When I made this recipe I made a few adjustments. I halved the recipe. I did used frozen strawberries which I cut in chunks. I used Splenda brown sugar substitute. When cooking my milk/water mix it seemed to curdle. I also took some advise of a reviewer and added the strawberries to the milk and water. This seemed to make the mix curdle alot worse. I added my sour cream directly to hot mixture. I got this recipe from Pinching Your Pennies.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 pint strawberry (thawed if frozen)
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare strawberries. The should be hulled and thinly sliced.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and brown sugar and gently stir until all strawberries have sugar on them. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water and milk and salt to a boil. Immediately add the oats and reduce heat to medium. Stirring occasionally, allow to cool 5 to 6 minutes to desired texture.
- Fill four serving bowls wil oatmeal, leaving room for the topping. Spoon 1 Tablespoon of sour cream on each bowl followed by 1/4 of the strawberries.
This is a great oatmeal! I keep coming back to make it again. Definitely use fresh strawberries and served them on top of the sour cream - then you can retain the freshness and get a little of the three layers in each bite (spread the sour cream out). I love the syrup that the brown sugar makes with the strawberries. I use nonfat sour cream, a tablespoon of sugar, about 9 strawberries and 1.5 tablespoons of sour cream per person. Yum!
This is a great oatmeal, a little rich for every day but perfect when you want to treat yourself! Cooking the oats in milk and water gave them a wonderfully creamy texture. I used 1/2% milk and fresh strawberries and served as the recipe specifies, topping the oatmeal with the sourcream and strawberries, then just stirring them in as I ate. Really enjoyed this - thanks for posting the recipe! Made for My 3 Chefs, November 2008
Thank you for submitting this recipe! I don't want to rate it cuz I changed it around a lot. I didn't use any water, used rolled oats & Splenda instead of brown sugar. I also threw in some nutmeg & cinn. I used frozen strawberries, and vanilla yogurt for a topping. I think I'll add the strawberries to the oatmeal so it'll heat through. Will play around with this; thank you!