Recipe by Kelly0412
This recipe came from SparkPeople. It makes a really good (and dense) muffin that everyone loves...even the kiddos!
Top Review by StacyMD187373
My toddler loves muffins, so thought I'd give these a try since they're on the healthier side! They were really good, not too sweet and have some good whole grains packed in. As noted, they are dense due to whole wheat flour and oatmeal. I made mini muffins instead of regular and pureed the strawberries. Made for Bargain Basement Tag game.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a muffin pan or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine oats and buttermilk, and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla. Blend in the oat-buttermilk mixture. Stir in the flour mixture, just until moistened. Fold in the strawberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.