Recipe by denime51
My mom gave me this recipe and it comes from a PTA cookbook which is at least 45 years old. Our family is now twice removed from those origins in Western Pennsylvania - first to NJ and now to Maine. Sometimes going back to your roots is a very good thing.
- 1 (6 ounce) box strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries
- 28 ounces crushed pineapple (drained)
- 3 medium bananas (mashed)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 pint sour cream (at room temperature)
Directions See How It's Made
- Day (or about six hours) before:.
- In large saucepan, combine jello with boiling water, stirring until dissolved. Fold in strawberries with juice, drained pineapple, bananas and nuts.
- Pour 1/2 of mixture into 13x9" baking dish for 1st layer. Refrigerate until firm (about 90 minutes).
- Spread top evenly with sour cream. Gently spoon on rest of strawberry mixture and refrigerate. For best results, keep refrigerated until serving.
- When I was shopping for the ingredients for this dish I realized that you could probably use other combos of fruit and jello flavors - I think I'll experiment next time. It could also be made to fit any diet by using artificially sweetened fruit and low fat sour cream.