Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like cake and you like strawberries, then you will LOVE this cake. YUM!
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 2 9" cake pans.
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Add dry ingredients alternately to shortening mixture with buttermilk.
- Stir in nuts and strawberries.
- Bake at 350, for about 30 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
I tried your cake for Jackie's Snickerdoodle Cake With Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting and it was amazing, so I wanted to try this too. It is excellent as well!! I used Strawberry Glaze Icing for the top and layer inbetween the 2 cakes. We loved it!
This came out great! I frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting and then sprinkled chopped nuts and slices of strawberries on the top and it looked so pretty. But the best thing was, it tasted as good as it looked, and was so moist and delicious! DH dug in when he came home and saw it sitting on the counter. Not a better compliment than that in my book! Thanks for making me shine in my DH's eyes Linda!