Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This strawberry bread contains a lot less margarine or oil than most I saw on Zaar. I got it from a local 4-H cookbook and can't wait to give it a try. I added my own touches, of course.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 eggs, beaten or 1⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons melted soy margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed strawberries
- cinnamon (a sprinkle)
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nuts.
- Add egg, margarine, and strawberries. Stir until blended. Do not beat!
- Pour into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until done.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove from pan and place on rack to cool.
- Best if allowed to mellow for a day. For longer life, store in refrigerator.
I had a lot of strawberries from a berry picking trip, so I decided to give this bread a shot. I brought it to a BBQ and everyone raved about it.
Wonderful! It smelled so good I cut a piece and tasted as soon as it was cool enough. DH liked it too. I did sub splenda for the sugar and used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup regular flour. This is definitely a keeper! Reviewed for Zaar Tag 2005