Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great red, white and blue dessert for patriotic holidays.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie shells
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup blueberries
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Add milk, stirring until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir in small amount of milk mixture into yolks, then return all to saucepan.
- Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cool 20 minutes.
- Pour into pie shell and chill several hours until firm.
- Whip cream and sugar and spread half over pie filling.
- Arrange berries on cream.
- Dollop or pipe remaining cream around edge of pie.
I really want to rate this higher because it is very yummy. But, it did not set. I even left it sit overnight before adding the fruit and whipped cream. It was hard to spread the whipped cream but it still looked beautiful when finished. But as soon as I cut into it it is all kind of fell apart. I followed the directions so if anyone has an idea why this did not set I will make this again. It really is very tasty. I would rate this 3 1/2 stars if I could.