Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a variation on the blueberry muffin I have posted. Great for when strawberries are fresh and in abundance!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, brought to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 2 1⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup strawberry, fresh, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk the melted butter, 1 1/4 cups sugar, salt, eggs, vanilla and orange zest together in a bowl. Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon over the butter mixture. Stir together.
- Add the berries to the mix and gently fold a few times.
- Add the buttermilk and gently mix together.
- Scoop out the dough into paper lined muffin pans. This will make 6 jumbo muffins or 12 standard sized muffins.
- Combine the remaining 2 tbsp cinnamon with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 20 minutes (for standard sized muffins) or 35 minutes (for jumbo sized muffins.).
Super good, and fluffy too!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. My only complaint is the cinnamon sugar topping makes WAAAAY to much. I used half which was still a lot, and put the rest in a baggie. Will use it to make cinnamon toast in the mornings for the kids. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)
Loved the flavors and moist texture of the muffins. I followed the recipe mostly, but since I had no orange peel, I added an additional tsp. of vanilla and I had so many fresh strawberries that I put in closer to 2 cups of chopped berries. I also sprinkled a teaspoon of turbinado sugar on top of each muffin giving them nice crunchy tops. I was surprised that I really liked the flavor of the cinnamon and nutmeg in the muffins. Had enough batter for 18 regular size muffins. They were scrumptious warm!
Flavour was good with only OK fresh strawberries. I made ours gluten free and must have messed up proportions though so the texture was wrong so I can't give the perfect details in making them gluten free this time. But I'm sure this is a tasty muffin! I can tell you I do always change buttermilk for yogurt, vanilla extract to halal vanilla paste & nutmeg because it has intoxicant properties to allspice with good results.