Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Take advantage of summer's bounty! All these lovely berries... mmm... it's filled with fruitiness and great served warm as an extra option.
- 1⁄3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup vanilla soymilk
- 1⁄2 med-large ripe banana
- 1⁄2 small apple (I use Granny Smith)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional) or 1 teaspoon agave syrup (optional) or 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
- The night before, mix the oats and soymilk, cover and refrigerate overnight.(Note-use a mixture of regular and more finely-ground, about 2:1, for the creamiest consistency)
- In the morning, prepare the fruit: shred the apple; quarter the banana lenghtwise and then slice it. Cut the strawberries in quarters or eighths, depending on their size-I use about 6 large berries; feel free to use more or less to your taste.
- Stir everything together, drizzle on the sweetener if desired, and enjoy!
- To serve warm, simply microwave for about 1 minute before adding the strawberries. Then stir 'em in and devour your tasty oatmeal/muesli!
This was a tasty and healthy way to start the day. I used skim milk and a dash of extract. I skipped the syrup and just sprinkled a tiny bit of brown sugar substitute into the milk. Otherwise, the fruit made it sweet enough. Next time I will try it warm as I am sure that will work well with the strawberries.
I agree, very delicious. I've never had muesli before and this was a nice way to introduce myself to it. I used skim milk and a bit of vanilla extract as well and a little Splenda for sweetener. Very very good and wholesome. Thanks for the recipe!