Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From TOH magazine. Although the recipe calls for the parfaits to be served in parfait or cocktail glasses, I think they'd be nice scaled down to fit in a smaller glass, such as shot glasses. The ribbon of bright red strawberries in the middle of the creamy pink mousse looks so pretty! The prep time doesn't include time for the berry mixture to chill.
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed and undrained
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red food coloring (optional)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- fresh strawberries, optional garnish (sliced or whole small)
- mint leaf, optional garnish
- Place strawberries in a food processor. Cover and process until pureed.
- In a small saucepan, combine strawberry puree and cornstarch until well blended (no lumps). Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- When strawberry mixture is chilled, set aside 1/2 cup. To the remaining mixture, add the sweetened condensed milk, orange juice, and food coloring (if using). Stir until blended. Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Into each of 12 parfait glasses or cocktail glasses, spoon 1/4 cup cream mixture. Layer each with 4 teaspoons of the reserved strawberry mixture and another 1/4 cup cream mixture.
- Refrigerate until serving; garnish with strawberries and mint leaves, if desired.
With a few changes I would give this 4 stars. I cut the recipe in half to make 6 servings. The recipe says to reserve 1/2 cup of strawberry puree. This is not enough to do the full 12 servings at 4 teaspoons per dish. You would need 1 cup. I reserved just over 1/4 ( since I halved the recipe and I only got 4 servings with a ribbon of puree and a scant ribbon. I did use whole frozen strawberries but that should not make a differnce inthe 10 ounces. So you may need alot more starwberries to puree. The first day I thought it tasted to much like the sweeten condensed milk. The next it had improved alot in flavour. I would make this again with some tweaking It is a very nice light fluffy dessert. made for Everyday is a Hoilday Tag