Recipe by Leslie in Texas
With strawberry season just around the corner, this mousse is an easy yet elegant way to end a meal. Refrigeration time is not included in the prep time. Start this early in the day that you plan to serve it on. From a May 1978 issue of Bon Apetit.
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, pureed (about 2 cups puree)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 6 -8 strawberries, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts, chopped, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine puree and sugar in medium bowl.
- Soften gelatin in lemon juice; dissolve over hot water; stir into puree.
- Beat egg whites until foamy and add to puree.
- Place mixture in the freezer.
- When partially frozen, about 45 to 60 minutes, beat in food processor or blender until pale pink.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Whip 1 cup cream and fold into berry mixture.
- Place in serving dishes or glass bowls; refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Decorate with whipped cream rosettes, made from remaining 1/2 cup cream.
- Top with a whole strawberry and dust with pistachio nuts.