Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This would be so refreshing on a hot summer day! Times may differ, depending on ice cream machine.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) package of fresh mint
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- Combine the half and half and milk in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a soft boil.
- In another bowl beat eggs to mix, then add 1/2 cup of sugar slowly; beat until thick and pale in color.
- Temper the eggs with 1/3 of the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- Pour the tempered eggs into the saucepan with the remaining hot milk, and cook over low heat for 2 min or until it reaches 160º, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and place pan in a large bowl of ice; cool completely, stirring occasionally.
- Combine remaining 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave safe dish.
- Microwave on high for 2 1/2 min or until sugar dissolves.
- Add the mint to the hot syrup and steep for 5 minute.
- Remove the mint sprigs and discard.
- Pour the sugar syrup over the berries and let stand for 20 minute Mash a few with a fork after resting.
- Add berries to the milk mixture, stir well; cover and chill, stirring occasionally.
- Pour mixture inot the freezer can of an ice crea freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Spoon ice cream into a freezer safe container; cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.