Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious layered dessert. Puff pastry, cream, strawberries = delicious!!! Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
- Preheat oven to 220C (425F).
- Roll out pastry to a thin rectangle and cut into 3 even sections.
- Place rectangles onto baking sheets and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- When cold trim the edges with a very sharp knife. Reserve the trimmings.
- Cut half of the strawberries in half and reserve for decorating the top.
- Slice the remaining strawberries.
- Whip the cream until stiff and stir through the sugar and vanilla. Fold in the sliced strawberries.
- Place a pastry slice on a serving plate and spread with half of the cream mixture. Lay another slice on top and spread with the remaining cream. Place the third slice on top.
- Put the redcurrant jelly and 2 Tblspn water in a small saucepan and heat gently until the jelly is liquid.
- Brush the top pastry slice with some of the jelly and arrange the halved strawberries on top. Brush with the remaining jelly.
- Crush the reserved pastry trimmings and press onto the sides of the slice with the blade of a knife.
Made up these lovely strawberry confections at the last minute during the World Cup Finals for friends and family over as I wanted to keep the pastry crunchy. These were gone in a flash and received as much attention as Gidane's notorious head-butt! Great recipe, Jodie.
I made this for the French part of the Tour too - am pleased to find a French desert so low in fat, sugar and calories. *insert sarcasm here* But what can I say, it was great! I made it for our Bible study last night, and it myseriously vanished in a very short space of time. I must confess I didn't quite get the triangles exactly the same size etc and I also added a little extra vanilla to the cream mixture. Thanks for a very nice and suspiciously light-tasting desert!
I made this for the Tour while we were in France. I added just a hint of French Vanilla flavoring to the cream. Very tasty.