Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (June, 2007)
For the syrup
- 1 cup strawberry syrup (recipe makes 2 cups)
- 1 lb strawberry, sliced and hulled
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the milk shake
- 1 cup milk
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream, softened
- 4 strawberries, optional garnish
- To make syrup: In a saucepan bring all syrup ingredients except for the lemon juice to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil for 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice. Stain syrup. Cover and chill. Can be made one week ahead -- keep chilled. Makes 2 1/2 cups but you only need 1 cup for the milk shakes -- use remainder for another day.
- To make milk shakes -- place 4 tall glasses in freezer for one hour.
- In a blender place 1 cup of the srawberry syrup, milk and 1 pint of the ice cream and puree until smooth. Add second pint of ice cream and puree until smooth.
- Divide mixture among the 4 glasses.
- Drizzle each glass with some more syrup and top with a strawberry.
- Serve with spoon and/or straw.
We do enjoy drinks like this TALL, so making the recipe as given gave us 2 drinks & a bit extra for each of us ~ That's not a complaint, just an observation, about the 2 of us gluttons! Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed our shakes & will be making them again during the summer! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag]
Yum! The strawberry syrup is delicious and really makes the strawberry shake. I saved some of the strawberry solids to add some chunks into my shake while I kept my husband's shake nice and smooth. I think I will use the remaining syrup to make strawberry lemonade. Made for PRMR. Note to other chef's: the 1 cup strawberry syrup listed in the syrup ingredients is actually the 1 cup that is to be used to make the shake, not an ingredient for the syrup.