Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious treat from Italy!! Mmmmmmm!
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart strawberry
- sugar (optional)
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Place egg whites in small mixwer bowl; let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw eight 3-inch circles on parchment paper.
- For meringue, combine egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Beat till soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over the 8 circles, using about 1/3 cup for each. Using back of spoon, shape into shells.
- Bake in 275º oven for 1 hour. For crisper meringues, turn oven off; dry meringue shells in oven with door closed about 1 hour. Peel off paper.
- Halve strawberries; sweeten with a little sugar, if desired.
- Melt chocolate and butter; cool.
- Combine whipping cream and powdered sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, drizzle aoubt 1 teaspoon of the cooled chocolate mixture over each shell.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream for garnish;divide remainder evenly among the shells.
- Top with the halved strawberries. Garnish with reserved whipped cream.