Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Impress your dinner guests with this elegant dessert from the Ballyseed Castle Hotel, Tralee, Ireland. Recipe can be halved.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking sheet with parchment paper (or waxed paper) extending 2 inches over ends of pan.
- Grease the parchment paper with shortening.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1¼ cups sugar, beating until meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Spread meringue evenly in prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until pale golden, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Bake until meringue is slightly firm to touch on top but soft inside, about 8 minutes longer.
- Remove baking sheet from oven.
- Run knife around pan sides to loosen meringue.
- Turn out onto sheet of parchment paper.
- Carefully peel off parchment paper.
- Cool meringue 25 minutes.
- Whip cream and vanilla in medium bowl to stiff peaks.
- Mix sliced strawberries and preserves in another medium bowl.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture over meringue, leaving 1-inch border on all sides.
- Spread whipped cream over strawberry mixture.
- Starting at one long side, gently roll up meringue jelly-roll style, enclosing filling.
- Place roulade, seam side down, on platter.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Dust roulade with powdered sugar.
- Cut into slices.
- Transfer to plates.
- Garnish with whole strawberries, if desired.
- Serve roulade chilled.
It's nice.. but I think if you make one cup of suger.. because it is so sweety.. thanx....
So quick and easy and it makes an impressive looking dessert. I have added hazelnut meal to the meringue before baking for something a little different, and that is now our favourite way to have it. I also omit the jam or jelly, as we found it too sweet. It would be quite easy to change the fruit to just about whatever you liked. Off now to make it again for tonight!
Made this for a pot-luck dinner. Went to get a piece for dessert...ALL GONE !!!! I've rated this recipe 5 stars for clarity of instructions and the beautiful presentation it makes. I't also a very economical dessert to make. I'll rate it again after I've actually tasted it, and I will be making it again soon. Many thanks for sharing this recipe