Prep 20 mins
Cook 27 mins
"One slice of this gorgeous strawberry pie from chef Barb Peters of The Heartland Spa in Gilman, Illinois, delivers nearly three fourths of your daily dose of vitamin C. With fewer than 2 grams of fat per serving, this dessert won't derail your diet!" At 198 calories a serving you can eat it guilt free. Prep time does not include the 3 hours needed for cooling in the fridge.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/16 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin (one packet from a 1 ounce box)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup pasteurized egg white
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Coat a 9" pie plate with cooking spray; pour in crumbs; press to form an even layer.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Mash 2 cups berries with 1 cup sugar and salt in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil; stir.
- Add gelatin; stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat; add 1 tsp vanilla and remaining 2 cups berries.
- Mix egg whites and cream of tartar in a bowl; beat until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp sugar and remaining 1/2 tsp vanilla; beat until stiff.
- Spoon berries onto piecrust; top with meringue.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Cool; refrigerate at least 3 hours.