Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Food & Wine Magazine, June 2007
- 1 cup dry riesling wine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped
- 1 lb strawberry, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices poundcake (1/2-inch-thick each slice cut into 4 triangles)
- 1 sprig mint (to garnish)
- In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the Riesling with 1/2 cup of the sugar and the vanilla bean and seeds.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Continue to boil, undisturbed, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes.
- Let cool slightly.
- Put the strawberries in a bowl and strain the syrup over them.
- Use the vanilla bean to flavor your sugar.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the mascarpone with the cream and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place 2 cake triangles in each of 6 dessert bowls and top with half of the strawberries.
- Repeat with the remaining cake and strawberries.
- Spoon any remaining syrup over each bowl, dollop on the mascarpone cream and serve.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.