Recipe by Leslie in Texas
While I've eaten at La Montana restaurant in Steamboat Springs,Colorado several times, I've never had the pleasure to try this pie. The recipe is from the R.S.V.P. section of a May 1989 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Freezing time is not included in prep time.
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 7 tablespoons tequila
- 6 tablespoons triple sec (or Grand Marnier)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 8 fresh strawberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter 9-inch springform pan.
- Toss 2 cups strawberries with 4 tablespoons sugar in small bowl.
- Blend remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, cracker crumbs, and butter in processor; press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of pan.
- Puree strawberries and sugar with milk, tequila, triple sec and lime juice in blender or processor; transfer to large bowl.
- Using electric mixer, whip cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of cream into puree; gently fold in remaining cream.
- Pour filling into crust, cover and freeze until firm, preferably overnight.
- Run hot sharp knife around pan to loosen if necessary; release pan sides.
- Cut pie into 8 wedges, top each with strawberry and serve.