Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
While I've eaten at La Montana restaurant in Steamboat Springs,Colorado several times, I've never had the pleasure to try this pie. The recipe is from the R.S.V.P. section of a May 1989 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. Freezing time is not included in prep time.
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 3⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 7 tablespoons tequila
- 6 tablespoons triple sec (or Grand Marnier)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 8 fresh strawberries
- Butter 9-inch springform pan.
- Toss 2 cups strawberries with 4 tablespoons sugar in small bowl.
- Blend remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, cracker crumbs, and butter in processor; press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of pan.
- Puree strawberries and sugar with milk, tequila, triple sec and lime juice in blender or processor; transfer to large bowl.
- Using electric mixer, whip cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of cream into puree; gently fold in remaining cream.
- Pour filling into crust, cover and freeze until firm, preferably overnight.
- Run hot sharp knife around pan to loosen if necessary; release pan sides.
- Cut pie into 8 wedges, top each with strawberry and serve.