Prep 504 hrs
Cook 0 mins
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 1⁄2 cups vodka
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1⁄2 cup sugar syrup
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb sugar
- Select full colored and plumb berries, avoiding stained baskets (sign of overripe or softened and decayed berries).
- DO NOT wash until ready to use as water causes mold to form.
- Rinse berries and place in a mixing bowl, lightly crushing to release flavor.
- Add vodka and vanilla bean.
- Stir and store in bottle in cool dark place for 3 weeks.
- Strain mixture through dampened cheesecloth squeezing as much juice as possible.
- Pour back into bottle adding sugar syrup to taste (1/3 to 1/2 cup per pint) and age another 3-5 weeks.
- Dissolve sugar in water and bring to a boil.
- Cool before using.
Very good flavor, easy to make. The toughest part is the long wait.