Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 936 hrs
This is being posted for the great strawberry recipe swap and for Rita who I know will perk up her ears when she sees it! I havent tried it and am not much of a liqueur person but the recipe says that it is a vivid red cordial with the fresh taste of strawberries.
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, ripe and unblemished
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups vodka (100 proof)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Wash and stem the berries.
- In a bowl crush the berries and sugar together.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Transfer mixture to a clean 2 qt container.
- Add vodka, water, lemon juice, and zests.
- Cover and let stand in a cool dark place for 2 days, shaking several times each day.
- Press the mixture through a fine mesh sieve, discard solids.
- Transfer the liqueur to a clean container.
- Cover and let stand for 1 week.
- Filter into a decorative bottle with a tight fitting lid.
- Age for at least 1 month before serving.
This is dangerous! I used freshly picked Oregon Hood strawberries and the liqueur is divine.So easy to make and so delicious. Thanks for posting!
Absolutely heavenly. Each summer after I pick strawberries I make a batch of this strawberry liqueur. Every day while it's steeping my husband and best friend ask if it's done yet. Then I only dose it out in small portions to make it last longer. Thanks for posting this, it has really added to my summer recipes.